Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The important things in life are not things

i like bread and butter... repost from happydotmom


... i like toast and jam.
Are you singing along with me?

Yesterday, my daughter insisted on spreading her own butter
and I didn't want her to.

It would end up being more butter than bread (and it was... as seen in the above picture).

But it got me thinking
about how "people are more important than things"

She is more important than the wasted butter.

My parents were always really good to us when we broke things.
I remember dropping dishes and feeling really bad when they broke.

But my parents would say things like:
"Things can be replaced."
"No need to feel bad, accidents happen." 
"I'm just glad you didn't get hurt."

In those moments they simultaneously taught me not to put too much value on temporal things
and to be sensitive to the feeling of others.
Oh, I just love them.

You'd think that their great example would naturally rub off on me!!
But no, I have to work at it.

All I know is that when I do remember to show my children that they are more important than things 
it just feels right.  
Now look at how cute she is buttering her bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment