Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Fears and Miracles

source
My niece went into the hospital yesterday for her second surgery on a sticky, uncooperative brain tumor. She is eleven. My sister's only daughter.

I can not tell you the fears that surrounded this surgery. It was a more difficult and dangerous surgery than the first and we all were nervous for her safety.

On those jittery days before the surgery as I was weakly hushing my own fears, I was introduced to an idea that really helped me. The idea is that fears are just the body's reaction to negative imaginations.  So, we imagine the outcomes of the future and when we imagine in a negative way our body reacts. For me this idea removed the all the power the fears held.

My scripture study reminded me again not to fear. Not because bad things don't happen, but because the Lord is over all. To us all he says:



Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace         and in the knowledge of the truth.
Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me;
And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost.
And the Father and I are one. I am in the Father and the Father in me; and inasmuch as ye have received me, ye are in me and I in you.
Wherefore, I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd, and the stone of Israel. He that buildeth upon this rock shall never fall.
And the day cometh that you shall hear my voice and see me, and know that I am.
Watch, therefore, that ye may be ready. Even so. Amen.

While in surgery yesterday the doctors found that the tumor was too firmly attached to the brain to remove any of it.  However, they were able to remove the cyst, which was important so they were ready to close her back up. 

Until they got the idea to try at the tumor from one other angle, a more difficult angle. They found that it did pull away from the brain at the new angle and were able to remove 80% of the tumor!  The last 20% was attached to the hypothalamus and was too risky to remove.  The doctors again decided that it was time to close her back up. 

As they went to close her up they found that the tumor had moved itself away from the hypothalamus. They were able to remove the rest of it, it was a true blessing!

There were so many other sweet and tender reminders of the Lord's care over my niece. We are so grateful for this miracle! 

A true miracle that has humbled all who know and love my niece. I just can't stop sending up prayers of thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment